New Member Auditions
Mahalo for your interest in auditioning for the O'ahu Choral Society!
The O'ahu Choral Society is a volunteer, auditioned community chorus with a 25+ year history of choral singing at a professional level. OCS performs regularly with the Hawai'i Symphony Orchestra, independently, and with other musical groups on the island. We are a diverse group with members coming from across the spectrum in age, occupation, cultural background, and location on island.
This year, OCS will focus on community and collaboration for our post-pandemic return! Starting with our Fall Concert, we will be the featured choir as part of a "Community Sing" with choirs from all around the island at Kawaiahaʻo Church. Then, in the spring, we will join the Hawai'i Symphony Orchestra to perform our long awaited Mozart's Requiem, originally scheduled to be performed in March of 2020.
Auditions for new members to join us for the Fall 2021 season will be scheduled on an ongoing, individual basis. Please complete the inquiry form below to express your interest and to receive communications on how to move forward with an audition!
Any singer who is at least 18 years of age or who has graduated from high school may audition. Please follow the steps outlined below:
1. Fill out the OCS Audition Inquiry form (button above) to request an audition
2. Once you receive confirmation of your audition time slot: Fill out an OCS application form (which will be emailed to you with your audition confirmation) and bring it with you to your audition, in addition to two copies of the sheet music for the piece you'll be singing.
3. WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE AUDITION:
- Solo singing - One (1) prepared classical art song, hymn, or aria in any language, to show your vocal quality and musicality - memorization optional. Please bring two (2) copies of your music; an accompanist will be provided.
- Musicianship - Demonstration of various musicianship skills through sight-reading, vocalization, and tonal memory.
4. Review our singer requirements before your audition.
OCS rehearsals will generally take place on Thursday evenings during the season (October - May) and will run from 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm at the University of Hawaii - Manoa Music Department Room 36 (2411 Dole Street). There will be added dress rehearsals throughout the season, most often on Friday nights on concert weekends.
New members must purchase the required dress or tuxedo and related appropriate concert accessories for all concerts.
Please reach out to our Executive Director, Jackie Kimbro, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any other questions about the audition process.